Fawley Pipe Run

Fawley Pipe Run

Project Details

  • Location:Fawley

Project Background

Following on from earlier successful temporary access installations and tank refurbishments in the refinery and the adjacent loading jetty, the operators were interested in other alternative access offerings that would help in the reduction of the scaffolding footprint on the ground and the resulting unwanted congestion and visual impact this creates.

Client Initial Specified Work Scope

Span were asked to look at supplying access for the replacement of the MEA line, a small bore run up and over a pipe bridge in the refinery. Ideally the solution would be quick to install and leave the road clear of obstructions once in place. Access was to be from an existing adjacent scaffold tower.

This requirement has been echoed to us from contacts in refineries across the sector and using such systems as part of a maintenance programme driven by a “joined-up” approach to access and works planning will result in substantial cost savings.

Span were tasked with supplying access to the large open aspect of the repair, with the onsite client using their rope access capabilities for the harder to reach areas, and a small amount of traditional scaffolding where required.

Our Solution

We completed the design in-house and specified the use of TechniSpan x500 system. This would allow us to construct the platform at deck level, install chain blocks and lift it to height as a complete access platform. During installation, a scaffold tower installed without our prior knowledge reduced our ability to lift a complete platform, so the build was adapted onsite with office support and demonstrated the flexibility of the system to the operator. 80% was lifted to site with the remaining 20% built in-situ.


Safety & Commercial Benefits

Our works required the closure of the road for one shift to allow us to construct, lift and then commission the platform. The system was hung fully from suspension equipment, resulting in no footprint at ground level as per the clients’ requirements, in addition to the time / cost saving of a significantly reduced labour element of the installation.

Access was provided for the works with minimal disruption to the site and the permanent access routes. 80% of the pipe work was replaced using the system, with the harder to reach areas accessed using rope access techniques.

This “joined-up” approach to planning and delivering the access was key to delivering the work scope within the planned schedule.